Blinki the Clock works. Red for 0, Yellow for a bit more than 0, back around to red for nearly 0 again. It’s sort of hard to look at it. Mostly the colours can be seen changing on the seconds, but it’s really cool when the hour ticks round and for a moment everything is different.
I have some of the maths wrong in a way I can’t put my finger on. (I have put my finger on this, to get the …. oh, divide by 6, not 10, there. Back in a sec.)
Yeah, it helps if you feed the correct values in. But anyhow, the maths is right now.
I can see why the Ark of the Covenant burned the faces off Nazis. It was full of LEDs.
I picked up a pimoroni blinkt in a swag bag recently, and I think I should make a colour clock out of it. There’s a simple one-liner for installation of all required libraries, but it pipes to bash.
That is against my religion.
I like to know for myself how I’m messing things up. I like to make sure the checksums are right. Disappointingly, I did it through aptitude, and it didn’t go wrong /at all/.
When using a shell script in /etc/init.d to start up a command, make sure you put the shell script there, and not the compiled program.
It didn’t work anyhow, so I’m calling it as a cron job on reboot, but I’m pretty sure the point still stands.
ETA: Aaah. So, there are things called runlevels, and Rasbian is based on Debian, which has them. I’m more a systemd person, so I was looking at the wrong sort of help file.
A while back I decided for safety reasons not to put laser cutting capability onto my Art Bot. So, the laser and heatsink bundle arrived today. I’m going to be messing with the voltage and current using a dummy load (also bought that, rather than scraping it together) and nothing could possibly go wrong.
I’ve already written the software.
I’m trying to use a Raspberry Pi 3 and camera for motion sensing and recording. Here’s how I’ve got on so far:
- Arch: Didn’t fucking work. motion started and kept dying. Power throttling killed the SD card.
- Jessie Lite after buying a new SD card: wpa_supplicant didn’t fucking work.
- Jessie Lite after three hours dealing with wpa_supplicant: motion didn’t fucking work.
- MotionEyeOS: Required wired network to start for the first time. Walked back and forth between screens a lot. Can only alter root password through web interface. Weirdest fucking distro I have ever seen.
- MotionEyeOS with a set-up script: May actually have fucking worked.
ETA: It fucking worked!
The current linux kernel is messing with the intel graphics chip on my laptop, which consequently thinks it’s helping to run a Cathode Ray Tube, and this is less than perfect.
My options are running a 3 month old kernel, which is perfectly sensible, or using linux-lts, which is also perfectly sensible. So, I’ve gone for the third option. I’m going to have the newest release kernel and also linux-lts as a fallback. This is unusual for me in that it’s a third option that is also perfectly sensible.
However, it does rely on me not building the lts kernel with the wrong name, so as to over-write the kernel I already have. So, I’m going to be here for a while.
It would have gone a lot better if the power lead hadn’t fallen out half an hour before I typed ‘make’.
One sweet little spambot claims to spend half an hour every day here with a cup of coffee. Normally I would just say ‘drink faster’ but given my rate of posting, I think I should just hand over more coffee. It’s obviously needed.
Oddly happy. I’ve got a program where if I run it in the debugger, it completes, and if I run it in the command line it segfaults. This pleases me obscurely.
Yes, I’ve checked it’s the same source file and the same build. No, I’m probably not going to dig into it, I’m just going to fix it and move onto the next problem. However, I’m pleased that I can build something that breaks, because it’s a good step on the road to building something that doesn’t break.
ETA: Wasn’t finding file to make it when edited either. Now is. Still no segfault though.
It would be faster if I were allowed to code this:
for i in range(sensible, rangelimits):
Or in C++:
for (int i = 0; i < range; i++)